About OIKONETOIKONET is a network of 34 schools of architecture and planning, research groups, professional and community organizations, and local administrations from 25 countries in Europe and around the world. The goal of the network is to promote innovation in the study of dwelling at a global scale by interlinking three areas: pedagogy, research and community participation. Through the activities developed in the last three years with the support of the Lifelong Learning Programme of the European Union, OIKONET has created a platform of collaboration to promote the study of contemporary housing from a multidisciplinary and global perspective by encompassing the multiple dimensions which condition the forms of dwelling in today’s societies (architectural, urban, environmental, economic, cultural and social).
During the last three years of activities, participatory actions and pedagogical and research activities have brought together various stakeholders and disciplines. Some of the most relevant events organized by the network are:
- Three international conferences on the theme “Global Dwelling” carried out in Barcelona (2014), Bratislava (2015) and Manchester (2016).
- Three international workshops with the participation of students and tutors from the participating schools, dedicated to analyze issues related with contemporary dwelling at its various scales in case studies located in Lisbon (2014), Berlin/Cottbus (2015) and Belgrade (2016).
- 15 working meetings dedicated to debate issues related with contemporary dwelling with regard to research on housing studies, community participation and pedagogic innovation.
The intensive work developed in the last three years has given rise to numerous reports, publications, blogs and videos which are available in the project website. A book summarizing the network activity in the last three years is being completed and will be released on May 2017.
About the SeminarAfter having accumulated this experience, OIKONET starts a series of POSTGRADUATE Seminars aimed at bring together researchers interested to explore the topic of dwelling in our contemporary societies from a multidisciplinary and multidimensional perspective. The seminars’s aims are:
- To facilitate the exchange among young researchers, especially among Phd students working in areas related to dwelling in contemporary societies.
- To foster the creation of alliances among researchers and their institutions to continue developing pedagogic and research programs in areas related to contemporary global dwelling.
- To keep developing and framework that brings together pedagogic innovation, housing research and community outreach in order to get a better understanding of today’s forms of dwelling and building.